Wednesday, February 8, 2023 - 15:47
The Plenary of the Hellenic Olympic Committee, in its meeting of February 7, unanimously adopted the proposal of President Mr. Spyros Capralos and decided that the Hellenic Olympic Committee is against a possible boycott of the "Paris 2024" Olympic Games.
As Mr. Capralos stated in his presentation: "Greece has participated in all Olympic Games since their revival, has not participated in any boycott in the modern history of the Olympic Games and respects the Olympic Charter. Sport and Olympism should not be associated with politics and a possible boycott of the Olympic Games would mainly affect the athletes who are preparing hard to achieve their big dream, which is to participate in one of the most important sporting events. We are therefore against any discrimination against athletes. »
In detail, the Plenary of the Hellenic Olympic Committee decided:
• Their opposition to a possible boycott of the "Paris 2024" Olympic Games.
• The continuation of the sanctions against Russia and Belarus, which have been decided by the International Olympic Committee and the global Olympic Movement.
• To continue and intensify solidarity with Ukrainian athletes and the Ukrainian Olympic community in order to have a strong Ukrainian Team at the Olympic Games "Paris 2024" and "Milano Cortina 2026", among others.
• The possible return of athletes from Russia and Belarus should be done under strict conditions of participation, as also mentioned in the IOC statement of January 25, 2023.
• Finally, the Hellenic Olympic Committee agrees with the non-participation of Russian and Belarusian athletes in the European Games to be held in Krakow, Poland in the summer of 2023.